Advancing Data Protection in India: The Digital Personal Data Protection Bill, 2023
Big News! 🎉 The Rajya Sabha has approved the Digital Personal Data Protection Bill, 2023 on August 9. This new law introduces stricter rules around handling digital personal information, provides for dedicated officers to address data subject rights, requires methods of redress for individuals, and establishes an Indian Data Protection Board to handle complaints. This law is all about being responsible with data and ensuring fairness in India’s digital world.
- Emphasis on digital personal data security (excludes non-personal data), with global applicability.
- Exemptions for domestic/personal use & publicly available data.
- Transparent and purpose-driven data processing
- Minimalistic data collection and precise record-keeping.
- Safeguards for children’s personal data.
- Simplified language & real-world examples.
- Enhanced individual rights.
- Fines of up to INR 250 crores for breaches.
- Role of the Indian Data Protection Board.
The Bill’s Purpose:
📈 Emphasis on business ease while continuing to protect individual’s rights.
💻 Fostering India’s digital economy and innovation.
⚖️ Implementing data protection while promoting growth.
✅ Consent-driven, transparent data usage.
🎯 Purpose-specific data processing.
🔍 Minimum data collection.
🛡️ Stringent data security.
⏳ Limited data retention.
📝 Accountability and enforceable fines.
🔍 Access to personal data information.
✏️ Data modification and deletion rights.
🤝 Redressal mechanisms for grievances.
📞 Option for representative involvement.