EDPB Launches Website Auditing Tool
On January 29, 2024, the European Data Protection Board (EDPB) unveiled its latest initiative—a Website Auditing Tool designed to assess website compliance with the law. Developed within the framework of the EDPB Support Pool of Experts (SPE), this tool caters to legal and technical auditors at Data Protection Authorities (DPAs), as well as controllers and processors seeking to evaluate their websites.
- Free and Open Source Software under the EUPL 1.2 Licence
- Accessible for download on code.europa.eu
- Allows straightforward preparation, execution, and evaluation of audits
- Compatibility with other tools, including the EDPS website evidence collector
- Import and evaluation of audit results from various tools
- Report generation capabilities
Unlike existing website auditing tools that often demand technical expertise, the EDPB’s solution emphasizes user-friendliness. This approach aims to streamline enforcement activities by national DPAs and simplify compliance assessments for controllers.
The software, developed by an expert from the EDPB Support Pool of Experts, received positive feedback during the first EDPB Bootcamp in June 2023. Following its success, the decision was made to consolidate and release it as Free and Open Source Software, with plans for a second version featuring additional features later this year.